Friday 10 March 2017

Draft of article for double page spread


Kayleigh Adams’ – Girl Power Inspiration
 

Britain’s Got Talent, Glastonbury, V Fest and meeting royalty; a few of the many accomplishments that the global sensation Kayleigh Adams’ has made in her career. She has been hailed one of the youngest achievers in music as all of these achievements have been made within two short years. In an exclusive interview, we find out what’s next for the star.

 

What was the highlight of winning BGT?

“Well, BGT was a big step for me as for years I have suffered with an almost crippling anxiety and to get on any stage – even in front of my small primary school – was enough for me to break down. That final was exhilarating as I think it was the first time that I ever walked onto the stage thinking ‘I got this’ and any who saw me at the auditions to where I was then wouldn’t recognise me. For me singing had always been a double edged sword, as in it is my favourite thing in the world but I couldn’t share it like my friends and family encouraged because of my anxiety. So when I stood on the stage at the final and was able to look at the audience and smile, I think it was one of my happiest moments. To go from a crying, sobbing and shaking to being confident and secure was amazing, it definitely improved my music – that’s for sure.”

 

After the win how long did it take you to decide what to do next?

“If I’m being honest, I had no idea what I wanted to do. That night I went home and sat with my family as we were having a small family orientated celebration, my Nan turned to me and asked me that exact question – to which my brilliant response was ‘dunno’. I had never planned this far ahead. People always say I never thought I would win (and I didn’t) but people do dream about what they would do, except for me as I didn’t want to think too far ahead as I think it would have scared me too much. My Nan then stared at me for quite a while, really starting to freak me out, before she uttered ‘charity’. I replied with ‘ok’ and the next day began to research charities in desperate need of support and found 20 around the country, so it was decided. I packed up my car and travelled south starting my four-month journey which I documented via social media. Two years later the charities that were once faced with closure are thriving and doing more work than ever, and every year I take four months out of what I’m doing and go back to visit. Since I’m still active in these charities it’s a good way to remind me of where I start and the difference I can and actually have made.”

 

You headlined at both V Fest and Glastonbury – but which one was best?

“[laughs] This is a hard one because before BGT I had never been to a festival so for my first time experience to be the one on the stage singing was amazing. But if I had to choose I would have to say V Fest, not because of how well it went or anything, but simply because I got to meet George Ezra. He was one of my music icons, I had all of his music and had always wanted to go to a festival where he was. So to actually meet him backstage and then due to surprise (for everyone even me) duet was incredible.”

 

Who did you take to the Palace with you?

“My Nan, it was only fair since my invitation was based off of my charity work and it was her idea – and if I would have taken anyone else she would have probably disowned me. Since I only gave her a weeks’ notice, she was rather exasperated with me because she felt that a whole week wasn’t enough time to have her hair done and choose an outfit. I found it funny until she decided that as punishment I had to go find an outfit with her. Now, for most people this would have been a nice day out with their Nan, but my Nan is not most people. I think the phrase shop till you drop was written by someone who knew her. Most shopping trips take a few hours, maybe five or six at the most. This shopping trip took so long that we had to leave and come back the next day and the most infuriating part was when she went back to the first shop and brought the first dress that she had originally tried on!

The whole trip to London, my Nan was reminding me of my manners, like I was ten not twenty. But I must admit I am glad I took my Nan because when we walked up to meet her majesty, I was able to hold onto my Nan’s arm as if I was holding her up. When in fact it was the other way around.”

 

If you could go back in time, would you do anything differently?

“No, I would live life exactly as I have. But I would want to go back just so that I could live it all over again. I love my life, making music and then being able to go home to my family isn’t something that everyone gets to experience. But I wish everyone could because it is the best thing in the world.”

 

What do you think was your biggest accomplishment out of everything?

 “For me, I guess to still feel like I am the same person. I remember before I signed up for BGT I was reading an article about Miley Cyrus and how much she has changed over the years. I watched her show growing up and suddenly felt a fear that if I did audition and anything happened then I would suddenly become a new person, maybe a person that I don’t like or even hate. I sincerely hope that I have stayed the same, well not exactly because as we do grow we become new people I guess, but still I do feel like I am the same in what I believe to be right or wrong and how I apply that to myself. When I talked to my Mum about my fears not long ago, she had me look back and compare. Do I still spend time with my family? Yes. Do I still spend time with my friends that I made before BGT? Of course, I’ve been in the same group since secondary school and are as close as ever, I won’t let anything change that. So yeah, I do think my biggest accomplishment is being able to do all of these things but not let it change my view on everything and how I act. [laughs] But you never know – if I do change though give me a slap and make me read this, okay?”

 

What are your plans for the future?

“I guess I will do what I have done this whole time – ask my Nan, she has some fabulous ideas. But before that I do plan to take some time off and dabble in a bit of writing my own music. In my break over the next few months I plan to start on my promise to my friends, which was that we would all go over to another country and do what I did at the start of my career, and help as many charities as possible. Not sure what country yet though, in all honesty I plan to take life one day at a time in a very cliché way, but don’t worry I won’t forget my music as it is one of my main drives in life.”

 

Well, now we know, Kayleigh Adams’ is a twenty-year-old who is family orientated, chartable who has made a difference country wide. Even worldwide as other celebs follow in her footsteps, not only that but she still finds time for her music, meeting royalty and still finds time to chill out with her friends. I don’t know how she does it.

No comments:

Post a Comment